PREDOCTORAL / POSTDOCTORAL FELLOWSHIP IN LATIN AMERICAN STUDIES
Beginning of Fellowship Award: Fall 2013
Application Deadline: November 28, 2012, for first consideration
The College of Arts and Sciences and the Latin American Studies Program at Lehigh University invite Ph.D. candidates specializing in Latin America, with a clear contemporary Latin American cultural studies focus, to apply for a two-year predoctoral / postdoctoral fellowship, beginning Fall 2013. Applications are welcome from candidates whose research concentrates in any of the following areas: social movements, identity (gender, ethnic, religious, etc.), transnational migration, and/or urbanization. Successful candidates will also demonstrate breadth and depth of cultural and Spanish language experience, and ability to create and offer a Latin American Studies introductory course.
The two-year award carries a stipend of $25,000 in the first year. It is renewable for the second year, with a $40,000 salary, provided the fellow completes his/her Ph.D. in time to meet all requirements for the home institution’s spring graduation. The fellowship also provides health benefits, carries up to $1,500 in moving expenses, and $1,500 in research/travel support in the first year and $3,000 in the second year.
Completion of all requirements for the Ph.D., except the dissertation, by May 15, 2013. Demonstrated potential to complete all Ph.D. requirements in time for Spring 2014 graduation.
Renewal of award
- Renewal of the award depends on the predoctoral fellow’s completion of all Ph.D. requirements in time for Spring 2014 graduation and meeting all expectations below.
Residence and employment
- The fellow must be in residence at the University for the duration of the award period. He/she may accept no employment, fellowships, or consulting obligations during the term of the fellowship.
- One course during the first year as a doctoral candidate and 2 courses during the second year as a postdoctoral fellow.
- The fellow is expected to design and teach an introductory course to Latin American Studies each year.
- Contribution to programming of Latin American Studies events and lectures.
- Active presence on campus and establishment of links with faculty and students.
- Periodic presentations of the fellow’s research to the larger Lehigh academic community.
- Letter of application stating reasons for interest in the program and indication of objectives to be accomplished during the fellow’s time at Lehigh.
- CV, including the following: personal information; date(s) and location(s) of degree(s) earned; honors and awards; lectures and conference presentations; publications; courses taught; names and telephone numbers of referees.
- Project description, NOT TO EXCEED THREE DOUBLE-SPACED PAGES. This should include a dissertation abstract, dissertation outline, and schedule for completion.
- Three confidential letters of reference to be sent directly by persons qualified to evaluate the candidate. (Original only)
Send application materials to:
Latin American Studies Program
C/O Office of Interdisciplinary Programs
Maginnes Hall, Suite 490
9 W. Packer Avenue
Bethlehem, PA 18015
Address inquiries to:
Director, Latin American Studies
DEADLINE: November 28, 2012 for first consideration